Town of Dighton Encourages Residents to Participate in 2020 Census
DIGHTON — Town Clerk Susana Medeiros would like to encourage all Dighton residents to participate in the upcoming 2020 Census.
The 2020 Census is a count mandated by the Constitution and conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau to collect data that lawmakers, business owners, teachers and many others use to provide daily services, products and support in local communities.
“It’s important to us that our residents use their voice and participate in the 2020 Census,” Medeiros said. “The census helps determine where future state funds will go, which is why it is critical that as many people participate as possible.”
Almost every household in America will receive an invitation to participate by a postal or census worker. Households have the option of responding online, by mail, or by phone. The invitation will be sent to residents between March 12 and March 20. A final reminder letter will be sent between April 20 and April 27 to remind residents to participate before a follow-up in person visit occurs.
On April 1, Census Day will be observed nationwide. By this date, all households will have already received an invitation to participate in the 2020 Census. In household responses, it is asked that residents state where they live as of April 1 to the Census Bureau.
The Town of Dighton encourages residents to learn more about the 2020 Census by familiarizing themselves with this helpful refresher provided by the United States Government and the U.S. Census Bureau:
- The Census counts every living person in the United States once.
- Every ten years, the results are used to reapportion the seats in the House of Representatives.
- The data provided by the census determines the allocation of about $675 billion in federal funds, grants and support for schools, hospitals, roads, public works and other vital programs.
- It’s against the law for the Census Bureau to publicly release your responses; your responses will only be used to create statistics.
- After each decade’s census, state officials redraw congressional and state legislative district boundaries.
- Completing the census exercises your right to participate in our democracy and make your voice count!
If residents have any questions concerning the annual street listing, they may contact the Town of Dighton Town Clerk’s Office at 508-669-6431 (Option 2). Anyone with questions about the 2020 United States Census may call the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s Census Division at 1-833-MA1-2020.
For further information regarding the 2020 Census and how to get involved visit: https://2020census.gov/en.html.